Friday, October 23

Plants Plants Plants

My life these last couple of months has been mostly school and work. When I am not writing my next paper or creating a floral design, you will most likely find me learning the scientfic names of plant.

Hort 306: Woody Ornamentals

COURSE DESCRIPTION: here are a few hundred plants...half you need to learn the scientific name, family and common name and description and be able to recoginize by sight (from small clippings). The other half you only need to learn my scientific name and description. have fun!

Needless to say this class as been a THORN in my side...

On that happy note...Who wants to learn this weeks plant list with me...

Fragrant Sumac - Rhus aromatica - Anacardiaceae

Apache Plum - Fallugia paradoxa - Rosaceae

OH I forgot to mention...you need to be able to spell these correctly or points will be taken off..

Tree Yellow Bells - Tecoma stans - Bignoniaceae

(This one is way fun)

Flame Acanthus - Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii - Acanthaceae


Rockrose - Pavonia lasiopetala - Malvaceae


Coralberry - Symphoricaarpos orbiculatus - Caprifoliaceae

(sometimes I question what the scientific authorities were thinking when they named some of these)

Cuphea - Cuphea spp. - Lythraceae


Flowering Quince - Chaenomeles spp. - Rosaceae


Spirea - Spirea spp. - Rosaceae


Weigela - Weigela florida - Caprifoliaceae

(This is actually a small list...usually there are a few more!!)

Border Forsythia - Forsythia X intermedia - Oleaceae


Pride-Of-Barbados - Caesalpinia pulcherrima - Fabaceaa


Beautyberry - Callicarpa americana - Verbenaceae


Texas Kidneywood - Eysenhardtia texana - Fabaceae



Raise your hand if you hate Latin....!!

P.S.
A&M plays Tech this weekend...on second thought maybe studying plants isn't that bad...

4 comments:

Mel said...

I remember a similar class at A&M....only for ANIMALS. We had to memorize/be able to identify the ENTIRE classification from Kingdom to genus/species of all vertebrates. YUCK!!!!!!!! I feel your pain, only mine was a claw in the side instead of a thorn.

Liz Marshall said...

Good Luck with that! At least A&M won!!!!!!

Unknown said...

yeah, all i can really say is "wow"

ashley munro said...

I had to do the same at BYU--it was a botany class from hell! It was a summer class and I had to memorize so many plants and all their info. Ask Liz about it--i think she helped me try to pass it! Love yall! Ashley, Dave and Amy